There is nothing more critical for the practicing dentist than the abilities to both recognize occlusal instability and achieve occlusal stability. The fundamental goal of treatment planning is to achieve a result that will not cause breakdown in the stomatognathic system and to provide long-term stability.
These 5 requirements of occlusal stability are:
1. Stable contacts on all teeth of equal intensity in centric relation
2. Anterior guidance in harmony with the envelope of function
3. All posterior teeth disclude during mandibular protrusive movement
4. All posterior teeth disclude on the non-working side during mandibular lateral movement
5. All posterior teeth disclude on the working side during mandibular lateral movement